Hey you! I hope you had a wonderful father’s day weekend. We had a serene beach day, a french toast brunch spread and I whipped up these absolutely delicious and healthy bakery-style muffins that I know you will love. This muffin is naturally sugar-free, sweetened with honey, and extra ripe bananas. They are moist and filling thanks to the pre-soaked steel-cut oats. Everyone in our house enjoys them and I feel great serving them. It wasn’t long at all before all 12 were gone!
I have been working out daily and making sure I’m eating plenty of nutritious food. We are adding daily beach picnics to our routine, and keeping the house stocked with produce and healthy staples makes it easy. It’s so nice to have one of these nutritious muffins to bring along with us! You can add in berries or seasonal stone fruit if you desire. Keep in mind they may need to bake a few minutes longer!
These steel-cut muffins are:
simple to make
healthy and baked with gluten-free steel-cut oats
sweetened with honey and bananas only
easily adaptable to remove dairy or add additional fruit
How to prepare to bake these muffins
Soak your steel cut oats overnight in water or milk. This will create a super thick batter, allowing your muffins to rise into bakery-style muffins. No dry or flat muffins here! This adds such a good, hearty texture.
Now let’s get to baking!
- wet ingredients
- 3 ripened bananas, mashed
- 240ml -1 cup milk
- 156 g - 1 and 1/4 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dry ingredients
- 80 g - 1 cup steel cut oats
- 115 g - 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 120 ml 1/2 cup honey
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Cover your steel-cut oats with water or milk and let them soak overnight in your refrigerator.
2. Preheat oven to 218°C / 425°F
3. Prepare your muffin pan by setting cupcake liners
4. Melt your honey and butter on low in a small saucepan.
3. Whisk your dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt) in a large bowl until combined.
4. Whisk your melted butter + honey with your other wet ingredients - egg, vanilla, and mashed banana until well combined.
5. Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients. Fold until combined.
6. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop your muffin batter into your lined muffin pan. The batter should reach the top of the liner. If desired, add old fashioned oats for more texture.
7. Bake for 8 minutes at 218°C / 425°F then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 177°C 350°F . Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Let muffins cool for at least 10 minutes.
Be sure to melt your butter and honey together like directed in recipe. It makes the flavor really delectable!
Muffins stay fresh covered at room temperature for 2-3 days, or up to one week in the fridge.
These muffins freeze well!
What I used in this recipe
here are some recommended products I used in this recipe!
If you bake these muffins don’t forget to tag me on instagram at #recipeandrituals so I can share your beautiful creation!
Need more naturally sweet treats to save for later? Check out these recipes:
Happy baking friends!